Cognitive changes associated with dementia increase the frequency of challenging behaviors. This may include wandering, aggression, resistance to care, sundowners syndrome, and other behaviors. This course is designed to help you manage behaviors related to dementia by identifying underlying causes/triggers, understanding behaviors as a form of communication, and providing tips for managing specific behaviors.
Upon completion of this online activity, you should be able to:
- Define the “Three D’s” – dementia, delirium and depression
- Discuss important questions to ask when conducting a behavior and social assessment of a resident
- Identify five key factors to consider determining the appropriateness of a resident placement in your Community
- Explain the Solution Focused Model
- Describe appropriate changes in the focus of activities for each of the three stages of dementia
- Explain the core activity programs that should be offered
- Define Resident Centered Care
- Discuss the medications used for the treatment of dementia and the symptoms of dementia
Courses DO NOT work well on mobile devices. We recommend using a desktop or laptop and only using Chrome or Firefox web browsers.