Persons living with dementia can be particularly sensitive to medications and at risk for inappropriate use. This course will help you understand the effects and side effects of commonly used psychotropic medications, the benefits vs. risks of using psychotropic medications, and the important role you play in monitoring and documenting for medication side effects or adverse reactions. Medication safety starts with you!
Upon completion of this training, you will:
- Understand the role of medication in dementia care and how it is used to treat the disease.
- Be able to describe the different categories of psychotropic medications and their use in behavior management.
- Understand the importance of knowing the history of the person in your care and responding to behaviors first with non-medication interventions.
- Be able to observe for and recognize when the person in your care is experiencing side effects or adverse reactions.
- Understand the proper steps to help monitor and manage side effects.
Courses DO NOT work well on mobile devices. We recommend using a desktop or laptop and only using Chrome or Firefox web browsers.