LIVE ONLINE WEBINAR FOR FAMILY CAREGIVERS starts at 7:00 pm on February 26th!
During this webinar, a Positive Approach® to Care certified trainer will offer an overview of Teepa Snow’s dementia classification model called GEMS™. The GEMS™ model compares different states of being and ability to the characteristics of precious jewels. This dignified metaphor defines normal aging as well as the many appearances, behavioral changes, skill sets and needs of those living with the effects of dementia or other brain changes. They should be considered indicators and a guide toward understanding an individual’s current state of ability and brain function. Understanding the GEMS™ will lead to an adjustment of expectations, modification of cues and support, and more accurate communication and ‘hands-on’ care behaviors to better meet ever-changing needs. The GEMS™ advocate that people living with dementia, when done with rather than done to and provided with the just right care and setting, can still shine.
In this webinar you will:
- Learn the stages of dementia and the correlating precious GEM for each stage
- Learn how to recognize and respond to unmet needs at different stages of dementia
- Learn to use the GEMS™ characteristics to facilitate positive, supportive communication between the caregiver and the person being cared for
- Watch from the comfort of your home using a computer, smartphone or tablet
- Internet access is required
- No program download or installation necessary
- Your webinar access link will be sent via email after your online registration is complete
- Follow the access link to the live webinar starting at 7:00 pm on Tuesday, February 26, 2019
The Positive Approach® to Care (PAC) is based on training materials developed by Teepa L. Snow, MS, OTR/L, FAOTA, Dementia Care and Training Specialist -Positive Approach, LLC and is presented by an Oregon Care Partners PAC certified trainer. All video and training materials developed by Teepa L. Snow, MS, OTR/L, FAOTA, Dementia Care and Training Specialist -Positive Approach, LLC.